Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Repeat performance, new pattern

Back in June 2011 I worked on a set of placemats and a matching runner.  I gave it away and never posted a photo of the finished set.  Recently I came across a photo of the set in use after I gifted it and I decided I needed one for myself.  I used the photo to write myself a pattern to make it again

Here’s the original:

IMG_5036255B4255D

Geese Across the Table set 1

Here is the new set, Geese Around the Table. 

I thought I remembered piecing units in a certain order the first time around and wrote my instructions to myself that way. When I actually got to sewing I realized that there would be an awful lot of pesky bulky seams where I couldn’t make seams nest.  I don’t remember that from before.  After a bit more thought I ripped some seams and came at it a different way and eliminated most of the bulk so things lie flat.  I think that’s a good thing in a placemat!  You just don’t want a bulky bit to make your glass full of your beverage of choice a bit tippy. 

I have no idea how I quilted this the first time around, but in this incarnation it’s all quilted in the ditch.  I did machine sew the binding on, which I hade never done before. The thought of hand stitching almost 500 inches of binding just left me cold.  I don’t mind hand stitching a few hundred inches of binding on a cozy quilt, but it somehow it seemed like a lot of trouble for a set of placemats.  I sewed the binding to the front as usual, then folded it around to the back far enough that it would be caught by the needle when I stitched in the ditch along the binding on the front.

Having in effect tested this pattern and fine tuned it I decided to list it for sale in my Crafsy shop.  Pattern downloads of my 3 free patterns have been brisk, and some quilters out there have also bought my Wandering Geese pattern.  I’m encouraged to keep honing my pattern writing skills!

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I like it alot!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you definitely should keep writing patterns. Both versions look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great table top set! I just love your header with all the colorful quilts and the star quilt a few posts back is awesome. You are a very talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I need to make myself something pretty to put on my table...see what you started?;) Took a look at your Craftsy site...looks great! I wish you the best on your endevoures;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did we know you had a Craftsy shop? If you mentioned it before, I forgot about it. Craftsy is a great site! I do love your table set. So striking! The black fabrics are really nice and the green highlight is perfect. I seem to have trouble finding black fabric that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely like the green and black and white better, but where would that go in my house? (Time to redecorate?!) Good luck with the Craftsy shop!

    ReplyDelete